An alternative to Microsoft’s Skype, Ekiga is a video conferencing and VoIP solution for GNOME in Linux (but also available for Windows).
Ekiga Softphone Features
Main Features of the Ekiga Softphone in a nutshell Version 4.0
- Ease of use with a modern Graphical User Interface
- Audio and Video free calls through the internet
- Free Instant Messaging through the internet with Presence support
- Audio (and video) calls to landlines and cell phones with support to the cheapest service providers
- High Definition Sound (wideband) and Video Quality up to DVD quality (high framerate, state of the art quality codec and frame size)
- Free of choice of the service provider
- SMS to cell phones if the service provider supports it (like the default provider)
- Standard Telephony features support like Call Hold, Call Transfer, Call Forwarding, DTMF
- Remote and Local Address Book support: Remote Address Book support with authentification using the standard LDAP technology, Local Address support in Gnome (Evolution)
- Multi platform: Windows and GNU/Linux
- Wide interoperability: Ekiga use the main deployed stantards for telephony protocols (SIP and H.323) and has been tested with a wide range of softphones, hardphones, PBX and service providers
Would you like to download Ekiga?